Do you know why fishermen must wear waders? This luxurious wear has several benefits from keeping you dry to protecting you from cold water, not just that but waders also keeps you safe from harmful elements.
In the past waders were made of non-breathable, uncomfortable, heavy-weight rubbers that made it difficult for anglers to wear. During hot days it was hard for fishermen to wear heavy rubber and after standing for long hours in water while fishing, the anglers had to face unbearable fishy smell and wetness. Well, we should be thankful for the technology as they have rescued the athletes and fishermen from the torture of non-comfortable material. There are various types of high-tech designed Orvis waders available so you can easily get high quality, breathable, light-weighted and comfortable waders.
Types of waders
You can get three types of waders in the market. Which perform different functions. I’m going to discuss below
• Bootfoot waders
Boot foot waders are extended from foot to the angler’s chest and the boot is permanently attached to these waders. The fishermen need not buy separate wading boots. Well, you can get Orvis clearwater waders, these waders come along with insulated boots. They provide great warmth during extremely cold days and do not allow leakage at all due to advanced technology. Most fishermen prepare this as they save your clothes from all kinds of mud and dirt.
• Stockingfoot waders
These waders are a popular type of waders. In these waders, a neoprene sock is attached at the place of a boot and you have to buy boots separately as these waders are without boots. The advantage of these waders is that they are light in weight and you can buy boots of any size. So mostly fishermen give preference to stockingfoot waders due to size issues.
• Hip waders and wading pants
These waders are quite simple to wear and take out. They are popular due to their comfortability. Fishermen use these waders when there is shallow water and the weather is chilled. Wading pants are just like hip waders but wading pants are a little bit tight.
The Best suggested features in waders
Here are the best-recommended features for beginners to keep in mind before buying wanders.
- The waders should be breathable.
- They should be waterproof so they can protect you from getting wet.
- They should wick the moisture from the body and doesn’t allow cold harsh air to enter inside means they should maintain temperature and provide warmth during cold weather.
- They should be comfortable and allows easy movement.
- They should be light-weighted and lightly fabricated.
Which material is used in the construction of fishing Waders?
Fly fishing waders are made up of two types of materials.
- Non-breathable material or neoprene
- Specialized breathable fabrics
• Non-breathable waders
Neoprene waders are best to use during cold weather and in cold water. There are different thickness levels of neoprene waders available from 3mm to 5mm of thickness. You can buy depending upon the weather of your region. Nylon waders are also non-breathable. The problem with non-breathable waders is that anglers can’t wear them in warm temperatures as they become hotter during hot days.
• Breathable waders
Breathable waders are designed to maintain the temperature as they allow the moisture to evaporate from the body and does not allow water to enter inside. The important point is that you can remain in the water for the whole day long without getting wet.
Who said that you don’t need waders? Reason’s to buy waders
Being a beginner are you confused about whether you should buy the waders or not? It’s right that these are not mandatory fishing gears but you can’t deny the fact that they make your life much easier and more comfortable. Furthermore, I’m going to highlight some helpful reasons.
- No doubt mostly anglers think that there is no need to buy waders during the warmer season and it’s more enjoyable to do fishing without wearing waders. But the basic thing is that waders provide protection and prevents the anglers from the stings of harmful insects and helps to avoid leaches.
- The waders help you to keep your foot and body warm.
- They are the best raingear, protecting you during heavy rain.
- The breathable chest waders serve both the purpose of rain pants and waders.
- The waders help to save your inner layers or clothes from getting dirty.
- Waders have storage pockets inside as well as outside. You can keep your essentials (like a cellphone, fishing license, fishing tools and some snacks) fully protected and dry. You won’t find these features in any other garments.
No doubt the anglers have to stand in water for longer periods while fly fishing. And they have to deal with different weathers. So it is important to invest in good quality Orvis waders as they are the best fishing gear. Don’t forget to buy waders of your size, as correctly fitted waders make you more comfortable instead of loose or too tight waders.