Some players choose a flexible style of playing slots – they try out many different games and strategies, giving themselves a chance in every area. Others have a more ritualistic style of playing, where they only play their favourites and only the way they like it. All in all, both categories of players are hunting the same beast, assisted by nothing else but luck.
There are many things that you should do when playing games from popular slot game developers, like knowing the in’s and out’s of the games you play and managing your bankroll. But what are the things to avoid when playing slots?
Avoid “investing” your money in slots
This is a common mistake that some new players make. Thinking that playing slots is a way to multiply your funds could get you caught up in your own demise. It is true that you have a chance of winning big on every spin, but the game is random and provides absolutely no guarantees. If your main focus is chasing the elusive jackpot, it is easy to lose track of your spending.
- It can be a lot more fun and less frustrating to see slots as “buying entertainment”. This way you are focused on your spending and when those big wins appear, they come out of the blue. By not having expectations you will value the fun in the game more.
Avoid low RTPs
RTP percentage is a measurement of what the slot pays out over its lifetime. If a slot has an RTP of 95%, that means it will pay out 95% of its lifetime wagers, while keeping 5% of them. These values are estimated, but provide a good pointer to what the well-paying games are.
- RTP in the range of 94% and above is considered high. It is recommended to play high RTP slots.
- RTP of below 90% is considered low and should be avoided.
- If you’re a fan of progressive jackpot slots, the RTP of these games will commonly be lower. It’s a sign of the trade-off due to the jackpot possibility.
Avoid “rogue” casinos
Always check the reviews for your chosen casinos and make sure they are licensed and respected. Unlicensed casinos are not overlooked by legal organisations and can really ruin your day. Playing in an unlicensed casino isn’t safe because:
- Your funds could be seized for whatever reason the casino sees fit.
- You might be subject to unfair bonus offers
- The games could be plagiarised and offer low pay outs and poor overall experience.
Avoid games with no bonus features and no jackpots
Today’s games offer a lot of features and bonus rounds which makes the slot market very competitive. The best games out there will offer you a chance to not only win in the base game but in the bonus rounds too. This easily puts the classic, outdated no bonus games to shame.
- Maximise your chances by playing games with free spins, multipliers, wilds, cascading reels and so on.
- If you like classic and simple games, make sure you only play titles with an RTP of above 96%, like NetEnt’s Mega Joker (RTP 98%).