If you’re looking to shoot some virtual hoops and dominate the court from the comfort of your own home, then you’re in the right place. In this article, we’ll be breaking down the top basketball video games that’ll have you dribbling, dunking and draining threes like a pro. And hey, we’re keeping it casual here, so get ready to have some fun with these epic games. Let’s jump right in!
1. On next-generation platforms, NBA 2K is now in its third year of play. The leap from the previous generation to the new one in NBA 2K21 was satisfactory. Although though NBA 2K22 was riddled with enough commercials and microtransactions to make EA green with envy, the game’s MyPlayer Builder and gameplay were both significant improvements over previous iterations. How does the gameplay of NBA 2K23 compare to what we’ve described? The answer to that question is very disheartening for players of the MyCareer mode.
In my review of NBA 2K22 from the previous year, I praised Visual Concepts for including optional objectives all across The City that gave players the opportunity to shape their own NBA careers and become the kind of player they had always dreamed of becoming. I’m sorry to say, but those missions are no longer genuinely optional. Your MyPlayer, who will hereafter be referred to as MP, will begin the MyCareer mode in NBA 2K23 by being selected 18th overall by the club of your choice after the draft. Another player with the same name, Shep Owens, is selected 19th overall in the draft, which is unfortunate for MP (and for you, as the one who is forced to go through this absurd scenario). What exactly is the issue here? It seems that the supporters of the club that picked you would have preferred to have Shep Owens instead of you. From that point on, you are tasked with gaining the support of the fans and demonstrating that you were the superior player. You will have the opportunity to accomplish stuff along the road such as work your way up to the starting lineup, participate in yet another of those hot-take factory sports talk programs, get a Gatorade from the proprietor of a nearby business, and provide assistance to a vegan hot dog seller. If you’re thinking that sounds like a lot of time spent not playing basketball during this game of basketball, then you are absolutely correct in thinking so. For the sake of brevity, I’ll just say that the narrative presented in MyCareer this year is very aggravating in the worst possible ways. It takes an unreasonably long time (in part because you have to move about The City to complete objectives), the decisions you make seem pointless, and the story just does not make any sense.
2. A Series of NBA Live (EA Sports) It is highly recommended that you look at the NBA Live games that are published by EA Sports if you are interested in finding a replacement for the NBA 2K series. NBA Live may not have the same degree of complexity as NBA 2K, but it provides an experience that is more approachable and arcade-like, making it ideal for casual players and those who are new to basketball games.
NBA Live 23, the most recent installment in the series, has more realistic player animations, enhanced ball handling, and a roster that has been brought up to date so that you may play with all of the newest players in the NBA. In addition, NBA Live 23 will have a new game mode referred to as “The Streets.” In this mode, you will be able to take your custom-made player to different streetball courts located all around the globe and participate in pick-up games.
3. NBA Jam (EA Sports) NBA Jam is perfect for those moments when all you want is some over-the-top, high-flying basketball action, since that’s exactly what you get with this game. Since its introduction in the 1990s, this time-honored arcade game has always stood out as a favorite among players everywhere. NBA Jam is all about high-scoring, action-packed excitement, and it does this with its unique 2-on-2 gameplay, exaggerated player powers, and popular catchphrases like “Boomshakalaka!”
Although though the most current installment of NBA Jam was published in 2010, making it a little bit older than some of the other games on our list, it is still a lot of fun to play. You’ll be able to experience the golden days of arcade basketball with today’s NBA players if you play this game, as it contains updated rosters and high-definition visuals.
4. NBA Playgrounds Series (Saber Interactive) If you’re craving some arcade-style basketball action with a modern twist, the NBA Playgrounds could be the game for you! Developed by Saber Interactive, NBA Playgrounds combines the fast-paced gameplay of NBA Jam with a slick, cartoonish art style and a roster of both current NBA players and legends!!
The most recent version, NBA Playgrounds 3, adds new power-ups, signature moves, and a new way to move through the game. With its easy-to-learn controls and addictive gameplay, NBA Playgrounds 3 is perfect for some casual hoops action with friends or solo play.
5. Collegiate Hoops 2K8 (CH2K8) (2K Sports) Despite the fact that it is an older game, College Hoops 2K8 still has a place of honor in the hearts of many basketball lovers, especially those who like the thrill of college hoops. The 2K Sports game College Hoops 2K8 offers a rich and compelling experience that emphasizes the unique setting and fierce competition that define NCAA basketball. Who doesn’t love college basketball and reminicing about the times cheering while you were in uni?
The Legacy Mode of the game gives you the opportunity to take charge of a collegiate basketball program, manage player recruitment, and lead your team through the regular season as well as the all-important March Madness tournament. Fans of college basketball should definitely check out College Hoops 2K8, as it has more than 300 officially licensed teams and genuine collegiate stadiums.
6. Basketball GM (Online Browser Game) For those who prefer a more strategic and management-focused approach to basketball games, Basketball GM is definitely worth checking out. This free, online browser game puts you in the role of a general manager of an NBA team, tasking you with building a championship-winning roster through savvy trades, draft picks, and free-agent signings.
While Basketball GM may not have the flashy graphics and gameplay of other titles on this list, its depth and attention to detail make it an incredibly addictive experience for basketball fans. Plus, the game is regularly updated with new features and improvements, ensuring that there’s always something new to explore.
Whether you’re a fan of realistic basketball simulations like the NBA 2K series or prefer the high-flying, arcade-style action of NBA Jam and NBA Playgrounds, there’s a basketball video game out there that’s perfect for your tastes. So, grab your controller, lace up your virtual sneakers, and hit the court with these top basketball games. Trust us, fellow gamers, you’ll have a ball playing these slam-dunk titles! If you’re REALLY into sports and you want to learn about UK Football scene, check out LordPing.co.uk today!