If you are a seasoned traveller or a complete newbie, there are many hacks that can help you on your travels, things that people have stumbled upon and shared with the world. In this short blog, we offer some of the best travel hacks that everyone should know.
- Download Google Translate – This is one app that every traveller needs; it can translate just about every language there is! Forget those bulky phrase books, which take up valuable storage space; install the app on your smartphone and you’re good to go! No more head scratching when you need to find a bank or a pharmacy, the easy-to-use app has you covered with every language and situation.
- Use VoIP for making calls – Every coffee shop in the world has free Wi-Fi and rather than using your regular telecom carrier to make voice calls, you can make free video calls using any of the digital platforms. You can enjoy a 30-minute chat with your best friend who is on the other side of the planet and it is completely free! Great when you’re staying in top class Maldives accommodation and you want to livestream the fantastic sunset, or you want your mum to experience a stunning view.
- Take photos of important travel documents and email them to yourself – This is a great travel hack and could save you a lot of hassle if you misplaced your passport or air ticket. It only takes a few minutes and if you ever have to show some ID, bring up the images on your smartphone, which saves you having to unpack and find the originals. Don’t forget to include your visa, as you have a record of it should you part company with your passport. Here are a few travel planning tips to help you with your next adventure.
- Last-minute deals – They are everywhere and some travellers take a chance and snatch a last-minute flight cancellation. You could do the same with accommodation; just have to be on the ball and check the right platforms. Some hotels offer insane deals for walk-in reservations; yes, it is uncertain but sometimes that’s the best way to travel. Take the view that things will always work out in the end and last-minute flight deal could save you a few hundred dollars!
- USB charging – Most people are unaware that the hotel TV has USB ports at the back, so you can charge your Devices; leave a sticky-note to remind you to remove them in the morning. (keep a small pad of adhesive notes, they are very useful) You can use the TV to view the images and video you captured that day, then save them to another device and empty your SD card, ready for the next day.
Technology is a game-changer and we hope you find the above hacks useful as you visit new and exciting places. Whether the Maldives, Peru or the south of Thailand, travelling broadens your horizons and who knows? You might find the ideal location to spend the rest of your life.